Sitting around waiting for inspiration isn’t going to help generate innovative ideas. “Sometimes, you have to get your own creative juices flowing,” says Hugh Benjamin, a digital marketing professional. Inspiration comes sporadically in most cases, but there is a way to help it to occur more often. If you’re looking for a creative boost, you can use the following tips to help inspire yourself whenever you need to.
- Try going with the worst idea. Sometimes, the bad idea isn’t so bad after all. Plus, it’s all in a matter of perspective. If you trust the person who gave you the idea, then why not give it a shot?
- Take small bets versus major risks. This way, if your ideas go awry, it won’t cause too much damage to your organization. Walking up a hill is safer than climbing a mountain any day.
- Question everything and test, test, test. You may find out a better way to do things you’re already doing.
- Don’t be too proud to copy. Build on top of the classics to make it your own.
- Write down all of your thoughts as you brainstorm. Go back to them at a later date to get inspired.
- Try thinking like a thought leader you admire. Ask yourself, “What would X do?”
- Getting new perspectives from others can help – try asking your team members, employees or even family and friends about a particular problem or solution. Their unique perspectives can potentially help you create new approaches.
- Practice, practice, practice. Consistent work daily can help unlock your genius. It almost becomes second nature to you.
- Focus on becoming a master of one, not everything. That’s a mistake that will have your thoughts scrambled all over the place.
- Set aside time to day dream and doodle (if you’re artsy). Allow yourself to be free mentally and you’ll be surprised at the crazy and not-so-crazy ideas it can spur.
- Unplug from the world – turn off all distractions, including your smartphone, laptop, television, radio and become connected with yourself.
- Try learning from others outside of your industry. Some brands have successfully taken the philosophies and ideas of other industries and applied them to their own businesses.
- Be open to new possibilities – instead of saying flat out no, try saying maybe sometimes.
Creativity is an important part of running a business or promoting a brand. Try these tips to help get ideas flowing in.